Monday, October 25, 2010

Quick Monday Musings (October 25)

I took my dog for a long walk in North Chagrin Reservation yesterday. I felt very lucky to be able to spend part of my day walking through the woods with a very, very happy pooch at my side.

I drove down Highland Road, to get to the park.

It appears that the demolition of the Old Church Building  (OCB) on the City Hall property is finally getting underway.

I had heard that the Highland Heights Fire Department wanted to use the building for fire training, before the serious demolition work began. It looks like that took place. The OCB had holes in the roof and holes in the front wall---where entry had clearly been made.

I applaud Fire Chief Turner for seizing the moment and making the most of the opportunity sitting in his own back yard. As the daughter-in-law of a retired firefighter (who fell through the roof of a burning building at one point in his career) I think it's terrific that Chief Turner wanted to use the OCB to give our city firefighters a chance to practice and hone their firefighting skills, in a safer and more controlled environment than a burning building provides.

Maybe that will be enough to satisfy those who demanded that the city find a "use" for the OCB.

Use found.